Friday, February 29, 2008

NOT a morning person

I've never been one of those people who can sleep to noon but I do love my sleep. I am convinced that every infant goes through a period where they have to figure out things. One is whether they are morning people or night owls. The way I see it, this could easily be a case of nature vs. nurture. It is in our nature to be up with the sun. Yet, if I have anything to say about it, I get an hour or more beyond that. Phoebe is trying on both hats. She wakes about 10pm or so and starts to chat and smile and be very active and charming. (Of course, I'm falling asleep. So I send her to her father.) Then lately she also wakes at 6 or so and wants to chat and have morning play. This must stop. Maybe I should wake her in the middle of one of her naps (many) and want to play and chat. Unfortunately she will just complain and she does that much more effectively than I can. The downside to having words is that we have to use them. With some things Phoebe's way of communicating gets much better and far quicker results. In any case I plan to nurture her out of that morning person act as quickly as possible.

I did manage to get Vivi to sleep in but Beatrice still wakes up fairly early. She has an internal clock that just knows when it is 7am. She will shuffle around the room, bump into things, make all sorts of noise that gets me to cringe and announce several times. "morning time. get up. morning time. mama. get up" to which I reply "go away."

1 comment:

Bella said...

Editors note: I'm not sure who's clock this is posted from but I can assure you that I am not, NOT, writing a blog a 6AM.